Monday, May 19, 2008

Livin on LOVE!

Every since Mike started at school things have been pretty tight with our budget. He doesnt have time to have a job and the all knowing BYU thinks they know whats best for us so they won't give us student loans through them or anyone else. Mike gets some money through the Army so we work with it. Its been stressful trying to make everything stretch as far as you can get it to stretch. Mike being gone in Iraq prepared us for these times. We appreciate the little things more, the important things like being together makes us happy and knowing that is all we need. Being a family in the same place is all we want.

So I've been thinking, yes we may not have a lot but it has been really fun trying to be creative. Not having money is a HUGE blessing, we are never thinking about going shopping to buy things we want or going to see the next big movie that has come out. We spend sooo much more time together now and it has been so fun. We find ourselves walking to go get an ice cream cone or going to the park to play, and yes even turning on some music and dancing together as a family. We like to make forts in our family room and watch movies and we love to go play with kadee in her little play house. I don't think I want to live like this forever because it is really stressful but I'm glad it is going to last a little bit longer! These are the memories I know I will remember FOREVER!

5 comments:

Roxy said...

What a great attitude! When I think of our younger years and our tight budget it really was the best years of our married life because yuo do have to do things together. The won't last forever and you will have great memories to look back on

The Simmons Bunch said...

I totally understand being poor. Lance isn't working because he can't balance it with school and I can't work because of Isaac so we are living off of financial aid. Oh the joys! It's so stressful but I do agree that we are going to have some amazing memories to think back on. I can't say that I'm not looking forward to the day when Lance will have a real job and we can actually afford things every now and then. I'll also be glad when he has benefits and we don't have to count every single little penny. :o) It does make life interesting though.

The Hanson Family said...

Oh the joys of being married to students. I know how you feel. we have to make everything count. I am sooo excited for you to come this summer. what dates are you actually here? yeah i am excited to have a friend

Blair and Leslie said...

I am so glad that we are out of the poor student stage. When Blair and I were both in school someone told us that we would look back in a few years and wish we could go back because we would remember them with fondness. I completely disagree. We did what we had to, but I would never want to go back. It did teach us how to watch our money, but since we both have graduated, our marriage has gotten stronger because there isn't the worry about how we are going to make it to the next paycheck. I guess the one thing you should remember is that even when you do have money, you can still make forts and spend time together as a family.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Hi Jessica, this is Amy Winegardner, (Arnold). I wondered when you would start a blog. I can't believe you have lived in Germany and have 2 girls! Holy Cow! Your girls are beautiful!!! So, I just read your entire blog since you only have a few posts- so here are my comments- I'm sorry you have to move so much making it hard to make friends. If I were you I would tell myself this: "I can tell them whatever I want, because I'm just going to move, so I'll never see them again- so if they think I'm crazy, it doesn't matter." - BUT I've never been in your situation. The hobbies: I really like going to thrift stores and remodeling something- like a bench or frame or chair, shelf, anything. It gives me a high to find something cheap- and fix it up and make it look cute. That coudl be something that you just work on a little bit here and there when you have time, you dont' have to finish it all in one day. If you have a sewing machine- you could make decorations like curtains, or pillows- those are just straight lines, or a quilt, and you coudl quilt a design by hand on it. And for ideas and directions you could just go to your local library- so then teh directions would be free. anyway- my blog is amykissesmike.blogspot.com- my hubbie's name is mike too. I really respect and am so grateful for you and your husband sacrificing your time for our country. Just being his wife is making a sacrifice for our country, and I'm very grateful to all families who serve in the military. Mike and I are very grateful for families like you. Thankyou.